Friday, January 9, 2015

Fashionable Tissue Card

One of my new year's resolutions is to take time to explore new challenge sites and try new things. Into my lap drops an Adorn blog post from Lynne Moncrieff, one of the designers I follow.  It seems Paper Artsy has a new focus which is just what I'm looking for.  A little space and measured pace to create based on interesting themes.  No pressure.  But the first topic is fragile papers which is one of the things I own lots of and I had a project available to enter, so here I go.


The fragile paper I chose is tissue paper from a 1977 Simplicity pattern.  I told you I had lots of old paper in my stash!  Here is a picture of it, a real blast from the past:


Lucy Edmondson talks about making tissue paper stronger in her Paper Artsy post HERE.  She glued hers to acetate packaging to make flowers.  I  glued mine to cardstock to reinforce it prior to the pressure of dry embossing.  I also am inspired by how Lynne Moncrieff stains her papers.

I have seen lots of posts about: 1) creating master boards, 2) if you stamp once--you may as well stamp several, 3) color your images while watching television,  4) swipe a second tag through the leftover paint, etc.--all so things are ready to go when you want to create something new.  So I came up with the idea to use up the tags I've been making over the years that are sitting in a pile.

Enter the tag made in July of 2011.  Whew!  Really?  That would make it 3-1/2 years old!
Ranger Products:
Distress Inks:  Black Soot and Worn Lipstick with Walnut Stain
Embossing Powder: Clear
misc. trims and gems from my stash  
bird from a Hero Arts stamp stamped onto red paper, heat embossed, fussy cut and adhered with pop dots
Studio 490 sentiment from Art Fit for a Queen stamp set
To update it a bit, I changed the bow at the top and changed out the embellies at the bottom to black pearls.

Fast forward to the present.  I was in need of a card for someone graduating in the world of business/ fashion.  Out comes the tag and a base is created for it to become a card that fits the occasion perfectly.

Black card stock base.
Vanilla card stock topped with the Simplicity pattern torn and paper pieced with glue.  This made the tissue stronger and able to withstand embossing with some Tim Holtz folders to create an embossed pattern on top of the tissue design.  Gently I rubbed Ranger distress ink onto the raised embossed areas. Then I adhered it to the black greeting card.

When done, the tag was placed on top to complete the card.

I'm sharing this card in the Paper Artsy Topic 1 Fragile Papers HERE.

10 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

A beautiful tag Helene and wonderful as a card. Love the design and how you used the old Simplicity pattern. Happy New Year and huge hugs. xxx

Lucy Edmondson said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Helene, so vibrant and striking. Love your style!

Lucy x

~*~Patty S said...

Pattern tissue is something I collect too.
You've used it brilliantly to make your very pretty tag.
"She" has made a fashion statement ;-)!

Colleen said...

Helene,
Great way to recycle your tags and the pattern works well with your theme.

Unknown said...

Stunning!

Jessica
http://creationkorner.blogspot.com/

Micupoftea said...

I like the idea of strengthening the tissue with cardstock and then embossing- cool!

kaybee said...

Love the strong colours - great card.

PaperArtsy said...

Haha, that is a tag with a LOT of history! Love the simplicity patter, I used to spend hours looking through the catalogues and making my own clothes. Your tag turned out perfectly for the recipient!

Julie Lee said...

Hi Helena! Lovely to see you here! I love old sewing patterns. I'd really love to obtain some of the tissue that I remember so well from the patterns of my youth! This is such a fabulous tag: so vivid and chic! xxx

Julie Lee said...

So sorry, Helene - I think I made a typo in my last comment and typed Helena. xx

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album