Friday, August 3, 2012

Art Journaling

My second article as an Unruly columnist is posted today at Unruly Paper Arts (UPA) blogozine.  My column is entitled Musings of a 2amscrapper.  Today my musings are all about journaling. If you have an interest in what I have to say, please head over HERE.

Having a great interest in art journaling, I decided one of my art goals for 2012 would be to actually try my hand at this.  In my last post, I showed you my first pages.  Here is my second attempt which I used as an example in my UPA article:




I started with card stock (6-3/4" high by 10.5" wide) to which I glued on a piece of patterned circus paper in beige tones.  I believe this paper is from Rusty Pickle (I've had it quite a while).  I added the reverse side of stripes in a couple of places.  I also found in my stash some Rusty Pickle Big Top stickers so I used one: A Great Balancing Act.  I used several colors of Ranger Distress inks to color this background.  I painted on white gesso and USArtQuest Vintage MicaColor watercolor paint in Sepia Veil.  


Since I used punchinella on my first pages, this time for my stenciling I used some mesh drywall tape (from my dh's workshop).  I love the effect of the little squares.  


Direct stamping at the top with Wendy Vecchi's scroll (from Studio 490 Art by Number set).  On the bottom, I stamped Tim Holtz' city stamp (Rock Star set) onto tissue paper and then glued and pounced the tissue into the page.  This is a new technique for me that was well worth the try.  


Of course I had to do some fussy cutting.  The image on the left side is from Gecko Galz (Circus ephemera set).  The smaller image on the right is from Graphic 45 (Le Cirque collection).  Both are outlined with a broad tip black pen before glued down on the tightrope lines drawn in with a fine tip black pen.


My journaling words are computer generated.  I used several Ranger Distress inks on the paper, using the traditional blending as well as pouncing direct to paper with the ink pad to create a pattern prior to cutting out the word strips. 


I'm sharing this project with the following challenges:


Since I used a Gecko Galz image, I'm entering this in the Vintage Image Challenge due September 29 in the Gecko Galz Ephemera Emporium PapercraftingYahoo Group

Case Study #102: Your Signature Style (vintage style  in the form of fussy cutting my two fave paper lines: Gecko Galz and Graphic 45-- along with some distress inks and stamping) 


Fashionable Stamping Challenge: Anything Goes 
(Stampers Anonymous stamps by Wendy Vecchi and Tim Holtz)


Simon Says Stamp and Show:  What do you say?   I say, Sometimes I feel like I'm walking a tightrope.

20 comments:

lynne said...

Helene
Love your colours and they way you built up the layers on your background. Fabulous!
Thank you for sharing with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenge.
Wishes
Lynne

craftattack said...

Great pages again! Valerie

1CardCreator said...

The pages are awesome and I got so caught up in what you wrote on the UnRuly blog I forgot to say so! Love the gals on the tightrope and what a perfect pic to work with, the suit and overalls on the same page. You have an eye for what makes it all so interesting!

Dawn said...

Fab pages, who knew? you are a natural ha ha xx

Netty said...

Smashing pages and loving the words, x

Candy C said...

I really like your art journaling pages. Love how you incorporated the Graphic 45 tight rope lady into your design. Your background is very cool. I love the washed effect and the stamping that you've done. And, your sentiment really works nicely with your images. Thanks for sharing your work with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Meggymay said...

Great pages, love the fantastic background layering. Thank you for joining us at FSC this time.
Yvonne/Meggymay

Sharon said...

Wow this is beautiful!

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

Wow, gorgeous! So artsy and I love the journaling! Big thanks for joining us at CASE Study :)

Lynn Stevens said...

I keep seeing everyone posting these wonderful journals. I think I need to get on the bandwagon!
Awesome pages and I think I'm walking that same tightrope at times. LOL

hugs Lynn

Brenda Brown said...

Such a fabulous example of journalling Helene. Love the images and that they are tightrope walking over the city.
I am now in LA woo hoo.
Hugs Brenda xox

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A fabulous journal page in great colors. Thanks for joining us at FSC this fortnight.

Dots Dabbles said...

You have used some incredible techniques, and look like you have had heaps of fun doing it. Don't you just love using inks!
Thanks for joining in our anything goes challenge at Fashionable Stamping Challenges
Dot x

Marjie Kemper said...

Really lovely pages! Just popped over from UPA.

Debby said...

Wonderful art journaling! Thanks for joining us at CASE study this week :)

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wonderful! My goal is to be be to create like this on an Art Journal page....eventually!

Jean Martin said...

Wonderfully vintage! Thanks for joining us on our first week of our 2nd Year Anniversary Blog Hop! :)

Trish Latimer said...

love the background on your pages Helene...subtle but very effective!!!

Terry said...

What a cool page! Love all the elements and stamping! Thank you for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

Debi said...

Stunning!!! I keep seeing your art work pop up on Unruly- and I love it more everytime- great piece of art journalling, Debi x

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album