Saturday, April 20, 2013

ATC business cards

I joined another ATC swap.  This time it's for the Gecko Galz  Ephemera Emporium Crafting Challenges Yahoo Group. There are eleven of us swapping. 

Penny asked us to make an ATC that represented us as an artist.  She mentioned that she uses ATCs as business cards (ATCs are Artist Trading Cards--always traded, never sold).  This got me thinking about making an ATC that really was a business card. 
(If you'd like to see a larger version, just click on the photo.)



Because this was for a Gecko Galz group, I decided to incorporate what Gecko Galz is all about--digital images.  Then I decided not to reinvent the wheel. 

Since I'm on the Gecko Galz design team, I already had made a special banner for my gallery of projects at the Gecko Galz website.  It consists of three Gecko Galz images (from the collage sheets: A Rose is a Rose; Edwardian Beauties; Pretty Little Butterflies) which I cut, resized and layered onto each other using my Photo Shop Elements (PSE) software.  I then added text--my name.  YAY---doing a happy dance when I realize the front is already done!  Details on my banner are posted HERE.

For the back--the business card portion, I took the lovely Gecko Galz 2013 design team badge that had been designed for us and used my software to erase the design team info and replace it with my personal info.

Using PSE, I hit the "print multiple copies" and chose the option, eight 3-1/2' x 2-1/2" (perfect ATC size--another YAY!).

I printed the back business card on blue paper and cut it to ATC size.  Because I wanted some "hand-craftiness" on these ATCs,   I printed the front on matte photo paper and then fussy cut around each frame.  I decided to double mat--first on black for a striking contrast, and then onto the blue to pick up the color of the flowers.  The double mats and the pearl embellies are for the ATC swap.  I'd use a simpler version for actual business cards.  And I would not use the Gecko Galz' design team logo for the business card side. 

Since this ATC is to represent my artistic style, I would have to say that the vintage image, as well as the layering and fussy cutting, represents my style.

And vintage it is as I'm quickly approaching another birthday.  I told myself when I got to my birthday month, I'd change the blog background and header to The Birthday Girl, free from Vintage Made For You.  So you aren't imagining things--I did change the blog look.  

And I had a great early birthday surprise, yesterday and today on the Gecko Galz site, my Queen of Spring tag, from a couple of posts ago here was featured as the Design of the Day.

16 comments:

Heather said...

I am so excited!! I love them Helene!! So glad I decided to Peek!!
Hugs!!
Heather

Michele said...

well this is brilliant! gorgeous! xo

1CardCreator said...

They are awesome,glad I peeked too! I love how you put your name on the front, I bet that works nicely for people who keep them in binders, they can see at a glance who made it. I mailed mine yesterday. ~Diane

Mrs Beez said...

These are fabulous Helene - your image choices and composition have produced a brilliant design. A great idea and something I know I need to do (with some bees of course!)so thanks for the "how to" details. xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely set of ATCs, really oustanding! Valerie

Debi said...

I love these- perfect business cards :) Debi x

Wendy said...

oh these are so pretty...great job Helene!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see it in person. I'm a bit behind so mine will go out Tuesday.
~Deb~
CDAC DT Member
A Look Through My Eyes

Netty said...

these are fabulous and so you. Hugs Annette x

Clare Lloyd said...

Clever idea and they look really great.

Krisha said...

OOOOOH, I did an up-close and these are just beautiful. I love Geco Gals, but rarely play along, that's gotta change!!

Words and Pictures said...

Stylish, pretty and useful too - a great design, and ATC business cards are a brilliant idea!
Alison x

Sharon said...

These are just stunning!!

Brenda Brown said...

A wonderful design and so very 'you' Helene. Love the idea of personal hand made business cards.
Have a good week.
Hugs {brenda} x0x

hazel said...

These are brilliant Helene.
xxx Hazel.

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Love your ATC business cards! Amazing!

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album