Saturday, October 4, 2014

Altered Playing Cards 7 and 8

We're in Week 5 with Claudine Criner.  You can see her altered playing cards 7 and 8 on her blog HERE.

For the second week in a row, we're using acrylic paint for a background.  The other card background is a torn paper collage.  Also doing some stenciling, fussy cutting, and doodling.

Here are the two I created:

Card 7: SOAR

Because I don't do much painting and have limited success with stenciling, I followed Claudine's tutorial closely.

Base is the same pink paint I used last week as I painted this card and then decided to use a different one with more gesso design.  It was perfect for this week.

New products  out of the packages:
Red Lead stencil journaling spots which I used for my circles
Wendy Vecchi stencil down left side
Crafty Individuals ink splats rubber stamp

Old stuff from stash:
Tommy Boy image from Paper Imagery Designs
Tim Holtz SOAR ticket cut down to size
Adirondak Acrylic Pain Dabber:  Lake Mist and Juniper

What I learned:
Still not good with stencils--this time I used a black Sharpie but it bled through when I switched to a larger tip.
For me the best white circles were made with a Sharpie white paint marker--messy but this white pen showed up the best.
Easist black circles made with Zig black 5mm pen
Having to add water to old hardened Adirondak paints still not effective for covering base paint. -----retiring this set.
Fell in love with the ink splats stamp and am leaving it out on my craft table for more projects.

The overall messiness works for this background. And I'm pleased with the end result.


Since I had done torn paper backgrounds and collages before, this one was an easy make for me.  I just had to figure out which products to use from my stash.

Breaking open these products for the first time:
Papers from Pink Paislee London Market
Image from Red Lead Paperworks Ancestors 42 collage sheet
TJ Designs Vintage Ephemera & Photographs rubber stamp collection for word label Rescued Relative

From the stash:
Tim Holtz number stamp
Ranger Antique Linen distress ink
Ranger Seedless Preserves Distress Paint
Ranger Spun Sugar distress marker
Chocolate Chip Stampin' Write Marker

What I learned:
The stained dress technique was new to me so I should have practiced on something else first.  The color was too dark and the paper got pithy when I watered it down.  I ended up adding the spun sugar distress marker and then covering up most of the dress with the word label.  

I love the total vintage look of this one.  

I would like to enter my Rescued Relative in the following challenges:
Simon Says Monday:  Finishing Touch-Sentiment
Artistic Inspirations: Challenge 111 Anything Goes
Fantasy Stampers Challenge:  Here Come the Girls


trisha too said...

Oooh, I really like these, Helene!


Michele said...

such gorgeous art as always Helene! xo

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I love how both of these cards came out. The backgrounds are awesome. I, too, learned the hard way about practicing a technique on something else first. Thank goodness we were both able to disguise the spot!

Taniaj Scott said...

Super project.Thanks for joining us at Artistic Inspiration with our weekly challenge. Hugs Tania (DT) xx

Carol S said...

These are great Helene! I love the backgrounds!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the birthday wishes. If you would send your address to me at:
Craftymoose at yahoo dot com
I will be happy to send #7 to you!

soapHOUSEmama said...

These are wonderful! I love the touches of pink :) Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! - Ashli :)

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Backgrouns are amazing, nicely done. Sweet cards.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Great ATC's- loving the Pink BG- I tried different colors- I have to say I like the lighter ones better! Your torn BG is beautifully done. Loving this great challenge : )

JayBe said...

A great project - thanx for sharing with us at Fantasy Stampers.
Hugz, Jan (DT) xx

ionabunny said...

Both fab. Love the little boy with wings. Great idea to include a postage stamp in the collage background. Great colours. Hugz

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album