Monday, March 30, 2015

Catching Up with Weeks 7 and 12 of Altered Playing Cards

Why weeks 7 and 12?  Because they've been partially done for months, sitting on my work table. Time to finish them up!

Altered playing cards 11 and 12 at Claudine's Art Corner for Week 9 You can see her cards HERE
Distress ink, die cuts, masking technique, enbossing folder.


I followed the basics--Ranger distress ink on my gesso-based card.  The pattern showed through which I liked for an undersea effect.  I used the packaging to make my bubbles with an embossing folder.  To adhere it to the card, I put red line tape on the four sides of the card.  I used the tattered pincone leaf die (punced with Ranger Distress Ink iced spruce and a German scrap fish (rather than seahorse).  I used Wendy Vecchi's Archival Ink Forget Me Not to stamp a Red Lead Paperworks ticket. If this was not flat for shuffling, I would have stapled the ticket onto the card and added an actual cute fish hook.


This involved masking off an area so there would be white space.  I was thrilled to finally use my Huck Finn stamp set from Artistic Outpost.  I did my own version of the white space idea.  Instead of masking, I pulled away the color from a portion of the stamp.  I didn't use a bleaching technique, but rather used water to pull away the color since I had used distress inks.

Altered playing cards 21 and 22 at Claudine's Art Corner for Week 12 which was back around Thanksgiving, 2014.   Claudine kept it simple by covering cards with patterned paper, adding a few die cuts, and then writing on them. You can see her cards HERE.

Since I'm behind on the challenges, I seem to be doing a lot more of "my own thing" to catch up.

CARD 21 Grungy

This card was a mess.  I used some of the new Ranger Almost Coral distress paint.  I trying stamping directly onto the card and didn't like it.  I painted over it.  I tried gluing on some leaf patterned vellum.  It wouldn't stick.  Now I have a sticky card with nothing on it.  I decided to stamp onto an autumn themed napkin.  There was some crackle and leaves in the pattern.  I "stuck" it onto the card. Tissue sticks really well!  YAY! I had empty space at the top and bottom but no pens would adhere to the surface for a little doodling.  I decided to use Ranger Distress Walnut Stain embossing powder. YAY!  Perfect because the distress had some of the coral show through.  I think the finished product looks good.

Theme is what I like about myself.  Yes Claudine, it's difficult to talk about myself.  I went with this Hampton Art rubber stamp that describes many of my qualities and fits with the playing card theme.

CARD 22 Clean and Simple

Background was painted.  Instead of covering the card with patterned paper, I simple fussy cut some paper from My Artistic Adventures digital images.  It seemed a bit plain, so I used sequin scrap as a stencil and added some circles with my new Faber-Castell PITT artist brush in cobalt blue.

Theme is what I'm thankful for.  Instead of making a list (family, health, safe travels, etc.) I went a bit whimsy.  We have a family reunion every Thanksgiving and everyone is looking for the pumpkin pie.


jane stillman said...

Fabulous altered cards. Love the background and fish on the first one x

Anita Houston said...

These are so fun!!! LOVE the fish!!!

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album