This week 13 at Claudine's Art Corner, it's all about bees for our Altered Playing Cards. You can see her two cards HERE. Once again, this is a perfect prompt for me because I bought several honeycomb and bee crafting items but have yet to use most of them. I guess I was waiting for the perfect project so thanks Claudine for the nudge to create with them.
Again, I'm learning technique, so I try to use as many of the same products as Claudine does in her samples. Again, not in my comfort zone which I think shows in the outcome of the whole grunge look.
Base is acrylic paint sponged onto the altered card. I used 2 different sponge textures with USArtQuest Perfect Pigment Yellow Ochre and Burnt Umber.
I hand rolled a bit of the honeycomb background stamp from the Rogue Redhead Designs, LLC Getting Grizzly stamp plate. You can see it best in the top right corner. I used Stampin' Up early expresso ink as it was the darkest brown I had.
I didn't have the Tim Holtz honeycomb die. I realized the purpose was to have an outline of the honeycomb so the card base could show through. Therefore I got out my Ranger Walnut Stain dabber and used the Red Lead Paperworks honeycomb stencil to create the same effect. DId not get the same result of a sharp contrast.
My bee and sentiment are from Crafty Secrets/Heartwarming Vintage Queen Bee digital set.
Copic marker Y17 Golden Yellow to color bee.
Honeycomb strip is from Darice Bee embossing folders.
Honeycomb strip and sentiment pounced with Ranger Vintage Photo Distress Ink
The only glossy thing I could find was Rock Candy Stickles, forgetting it makes ink jet images bleed. But that is what you see on the "bee button".
Base is a waterproof ink rubbed onto the altered card. I used Memento Dandelion. I used Red Lead Paperworks honeycomb stencil which had the mirror effect of the Tim Holtz stencil that Claudine used. I applied it with VersaMagic gingerbread chalk ink.
Honeycomb strip is from Stampin' Up scrapbook paper.
Bee Happy sentiment embossed on top of it is from Darice Bee embossing folders. Embossed words pounced with Ranger Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
Bee from Rogue Redhead Designs, LLC Getting Grizzly stamp plate.
Like Claudine, I decided I needed to cover up something from the gesso base coat. I noticed some dark marks after I had assembled everything. So I grabbed a Ranger Wild Honey distress marker and filled in 3 of the honeycombs and then added dots of gold glitter on top.
I still have 3 cards to do to catch up. Hopefully that will happen later today or tomorrow.