Monday, December 14, 2009

QKD Royal Monday Blog Hop and QKD 12 Days of Christmas Challenge: Project 11

Today the Royal Court Design Team has a color challenge: blue, silver, and white. The technique I used is difficult to photograph. The sun washed out the silvery gray background (making it look too white) and caught one of the three clear rhinestones that I placed on top of the blue buttons. So bling it is! If you've been following the blog hop, you came from my Monday blogging buddy, Kelly. Next up is my Stampin' Saturday partner, Penny.

This background technique is called polished stone. I put drops of dye reinker onto a cotton ball and dabbed the cotton ball onto glossy cardstock (not to be confused with glossy photo paper). The inks I used are two shades of blue and also metallic silver. Even heat setting the ink didn't dry it. I waited two days to make sure the background was dry before I stamped the snow people from the QKD Northern Exposure stamp set with VersaMark and heat embossed with black embossing powder. Then I took a cotton swab dipped in bleach and removed the background ink from the images. I discovered that metallic ink doesn't want to cooperate with bleach removal. But the overall effect looks like more realistic snowballs.
I found some matching blue cardstock (harder than you think--too many shades of blue) for the card base, cut with my scallop scissors some silver metallic card stock, and added silver and blue ribbons.
This card also counts for my QKD 12 Days of Christmas Challenge. One more project to go! While you're visiting me here, I'd love for you to scroll down to yesterday's post where you'll see three more projects using QKD stamps!

I've been doing some internet shopping for holiday gifts. QKD is a great place to shop for all of your stamping needs for you and your friends. Right up to Christmas you can enjoy these specials:
Cyber Days Shipping Sale
35% off QKD Stamps
30% off on all Past Kits
(Good today through12/25/09)
(Excludes the separates line & personalized & custom stamps)

Here's today's Monday QKD blog hop list, to help you navigate in cyberspace.
QKD blog-
Alex's blog
Kelly's blog
Helene's blog -- You're here with me!
Penny's blog
Meredith's blog
Linda's blog
Anita's blog
Sara's blog
Queen Kat Designs Store

7 comments:

Lynne said...

Gorgeous card! Gotta try this technique!!

CraftyMomOf3 said...

sooooooooooooo fun!!! love the twinkly twinkle!!!

linnes said...

A wow!! Look like it is really snowing!

Angie Smith said...

Don't sell yourself short, your card is beautiful. It seems to have a snow effect. And the bling reinforces the snow idea. Good job!!!

Steph Ackerman said...

I love it. The sparkle is amazing, what a wonderful snowy effect you got.

Anita said...

That background is just fabulous for them Helene.

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to see this card in person to see all the work you put into it!

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album