Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Textured Canvas Halloween ATC

This month's focus at Unruly Paper Arts blogozine is Canvassing.  There are two Reader Art Quests this month.  RAQ2 is Textured Canvas.  You have until October 25 to submit before the voting starts.

At the Unruly Paper Arts Yahoo Group, I'm participating in the Eerie Halloween ATC swap.  This is my fourth and final ATC that will be sent off to be swapped.

I was fascinated by my fellow Unruly Columnist Brenda Brown's example of textured canvas.  I couldn't wait to try the technique and decided to make a textured canvas ATC for the swap.

I painted everything a mixture of gesso and black paint.  I've lightened it up so that you can see the texture.

This is what I started with before I painted it:

Materials used:

canvas ATC
gauze and misc. trims from my stash
felt spider from a collection of stickers that have long since lost their name
fussy cut image from a sheet I've had in my Halloween collection forever--it says Ramay's Hand-I-Works.
fence created with Martha Stewart punch
strip of text from an old Edgar Allan Poe book (love the word delirium--which is the state I'm in around spiders!)
Ranger Distress Ink in Weathered Wood

14 comments:

Micupoftea said...

Wow...this is an interesting technique. I may have to try something like it and use a splash of autumn colors, Helene! Cool little atc~

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love trying new things- this is an awesome project- the black gesso is something I have been wanting to try out. The texture is great on the BG- awesome!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely work! Valerie

Brenda Brown said...

Woo hoo this is fabulous Helene, love the black gesso effects. Thanks for the link to my post.
Hope your week is going well.
Hugs Brenda xox

Sharon said...

Wow what amazing texture & effect!! This is great Helene!!

Marjie Kemper said...

That's fabulous, Helene! Thanks for showing the 'before' photo... great way to add texture!

SusanK said...

I never would have guessed what you used for texturing the ATC. How cool is this!??!!?? I obviously need to get out more and play!

1CardCreator said...

Love this and I am so glad you showed the before and after to it too! It really gives me a feel for how you made it!

Cathy L. Calamas said...

This is fabulous. The texture is awesome and thanks for showing us how you created it.

Terry said...

Wow, this is so cool! The texture is amazing. Love this ATC and so will your swap partner!

Beverly G said...

Love that technique, it was perfect for the scene you created.

Pryn said...

Love the before and after shots on this, Helene! WOW! It turned out AWESOME!

Hugs to you!

PetraB said...

What a fantastic project! Love all the textures.

Michele said...

gorgeousness! xo

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album