Thursday, December 22, 2011

Paper Bag Card

I was inspired to make this card after seeing the beautiful paper bag cards made by Debbie. My vintage theme was inspired by Nancy Maxwell James after seeing her Twelve Days of Whimsy. I made this for my cousin Mary.


All of the papers are Graphic 45 Christmas Emporium from the Flying Unicorn on-line store as is the flower on the cover.  I decided this would be a good Flying Unicorn Creative Team project for me to do this month. 
 
The Cover:

Inspired by the Paper Whimsy products and Nancy's designs, I used heirloom buttons from my family's collection.  At the last minute, I replaced the Paper Whimsy image with a photo of my cousin Mary, the recipient of this card.  I think the inspiration to change it came from the Paper Whimsy word label, Merry.

The Inside:
I kept the bottom fold of the bag which is on the left side and used it to create an extra page.  Again, I was influenced by Nancy who used a lot of doilies in her 12 days of creations.  I should have placed a snowflake on it, but I chose a soft bloom because I was planning to add a wallet photo to the pocket and didn't want it scratched.  

The G45 music paper included The Holly and the Ivy.  I decided to give those names to the two Paper Whimsy girls. You see Ivy until you lift the flap to reveal Holly.

I created a pocket on the right side to hold the gift certificate.  I also utilized the inside of the bag by slipping into it a CD of Christmas carols. 

The Back Cover:

The paper bag I used was a little larger than the standard lunch bag size and a little heavier in weight, more like a bag you get when you buy ice cream.  So the size was perfect for one of the G45 6x6" panels.  Add a Paper Whimsy word strip, and it's just enough for the back. The entire bag is edged with Pumice Stone Ranger Distress Ink.

My choice of materials also was influenced by the Let Them Eat Fruitcake recipe challenge in the Flying Unicorn Forum.  The items included a clear embellishment (clock face), doily (lucky there), flowers, butterfly, lace, ribbon, photo, etc.  The challenge runs until the end of the month and there is a fabulous prize for one lucky person, chosen by random draw. 


13 comments:

Gisèle said...

Oh Hélène, this is absolutely fabbie; cousin Mary will adore it...so many interesting elements...
Wishing you a happy, peaceful, loved filled holiday season my love....xooxox G.

Sharon said...

This is just fantastic Helene!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely card and nice baclground music! Happy holidays! Valerie

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- fabulous!!!

judyjstamper said...

lovely and how nice for your cousin. I remember when I made my first paper bag project. It took a bit to get started, but then after that, it took on a life of it's own and turned out beautiful. thanks for sharing!

Michele said...

Helene this is incredibly gorgeous! wow what an amazing project. absolutely beautiful. xo

Clare Lloyd said...

fabulous creation. have a great christmas. x

Jean Franks Beck said...

Wow, this is brilliant! So creative and so, so gorgeous! Merry Christmas to you and yours, Helene!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Such a wonderful project, looks great. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Lynn Stevens said...

Your paper bag book is just darling Helene, Love it and so will your cousin!!
Wishing you and yours a most wonderful Christmas!
Hugs Lynn

Marjie Kemper said...

This looks great, Helene. I'm amazed at how much you could fit on that amount of space. Love all the different textures.

Lynne Moncrieff said...

If I change my name to Mary does that mean I am the person who will receive this LOL
Lucky Mary as this is stunning. Love the vintage inspired look, the use of Mary's photograph and all the details and texture.
Warmest Wishes for the Season.
Lynne

Lili Sulastri said...

Such unique creation.

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album